Friday, September 30, 2011

Immeasurable Learning





Today was the final day of our Zambian History Class.

We had two weeks full of early morning class, complicated conversations, laughter, circular discussions, foreign aid, Zambia as a Christian Nation, frustration, China in Africa, female presidents, African nationalism, colonization, HIV/AIDS, community development, dead end solutions, poverty, Chad & Botswana, national debt, child sponsorship, questions of justice, government corruption, handouts vs. hand-ups, and trying to find our role in all of this.
We ended our time today in fellowship, eating muffins and homemade lemonade.
Thank you Professor Mwenda for allowing us to learn, grow, and broaden our view of the world.
- Amelia

Out of all the topics and issues covered, walking humbly with our God lays a foundation for approaching them all. Micah 6:8
- Mel

This class took everything that I thought I knew about community development and helping other countries, and threw it out the window. I have been challenged and have grown in understanding on how to love and care for other communities.
- Mikala

Thank you for the constant reminder that we are all fearfully and wonderfully made.
- Sarah

This class educated and empowered me to think through issues like foreign aid, while learning my role as a believer and caregiver in poverty stricken areas.
- Kat

This course has been one of the most intellectually stimulating, spiritually challenging, and culturally expanding classes I have taken while at IWU. It has drastically impacted my view of missions, aid, and my future. It exposed many hidden aspects of African politics, economics, and infrastructure which would have never entered my mind. I can truthfully say that this has been one of my favorite courses in my collegiate career. 
- Joe

This class planted thoughts and questions in my head that I have never entertained before. I was challenged, frustrated, skeptical, but ultimately encouraged. This world is broken and there is a lot wrong with it, but we serve the God of Hope, so there is reason to be encouraged.
- Emily

Sometimes I thought my brain would explode, but I loved every minute of it!
- Liz

This class shook my worldviews to the core. The depravity of this world is overwhelming, but I’ve learned to keep an eternal perspective. The weight of sin shouldn’t hinder our desire to help, but we should continue to seek knowledge and wisdom with God at the center of our plan and motivation. God is already at work…everywhere. I’ve also been challenged to live a life by Romans 12 instruction.
- Kelsey

History is generally not my favorite topic to study, but I absolutely loved this class. It caused me to critically think, challenging my previous views. I am definitely going to re-read some of the articles we studied!
- Christine

This class provided a new, and sometimes frustrating way of looking at big issues in our world. But over the course of two weeks, my view on the world has been expanded and I can’t wait to see how God uses these truths.
- Dana

This course has transformed my persepctive on many important global issues. It has been humbling to learn that our "American" way of thinking is completely skewed. Also, recognizing that God is still sovereign - now and forever, no matter the issue.
- Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment